Thursday, 10 May 2012

Unfading Beauty

So It's been a while since I've done a deep and meaningful post. I guess it's because approaching the meaningful topics scare me because I'm afraid I'll get it wrong and post something dramatically blasphemous all over the internet. Not going to happen.

I wanted to approach the topic of beauty.

I absolutely LOVE the bibles description in 1 Peter 3 verses 3-6:

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.  Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sightFor this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands,  like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."



Incredible right? Beauty is NOT what the world thinks, what all the adverts force upon our self-conscious, what the media is driven by. It's not how we look, it's not whether we're wearing the right clothes, make up or jewellry. Beauty of the permenant and never-fading kind is having a gentle and quiet spirit. 

Now, a lot of people will be like: What? Do I have to be meek and shy to be gentle to be pretty to God?? No. The passage talks about your spirit not your personality. You can still be outgoing, strong and passionate and have a gentle and quiet spirit. Your spirit should drive your personality: For example, quietness and gentleness can drive confidence, you can be outspoken but humble, confident but not forceful, driven by a trust in Christ not fear of failure... It’s not the personality that this passage is addressing, but the guiding compass behind it. God cares about our heart, our 'inner working'.

Knowing that this was how women of the past who trusted God, like Sarah, adorned themselves is just brilliant. I always get a thrill when the new testament crosses with the old...like truths are being revealed.

I don't know about you but I know some people who are so holy and always on fire for Christ. There's something special about them, but they never seek attention or force their opinions on you...they're selfless, loving and quiet but strong and assertive. I think they have what this passage is talking about: unfading beauty. I hope to have the same beauty, I will always be aspiring to it, to become closer to Christ and grow in the qualities that he wants me to have, the qualities which he considers of great worth.

Who's eyes would you rather be seen as beautiful in: the worlds or Gods? The world - which is unpredictable, vicious, self-centered and oh so fleeting. Or God - the one who made you, loves you unconditionally so much that he died for you, is always protecting you, and will be with you FOREVER if you believe in him. I know who I'd rather be beautiful for!

(I apologise for the length - I'll be impressed if you read it all!)

Gina X

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I so so agree that you can have a strong personality and a gentle spirit at the same time! So many girls twist themselves in knots over that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Gina! Meekness is such a prettier beauty than outward adornment.
    Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely writing, Gina! I was very encouraged by reading your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post so much! It was very encouraging! I was actually just reading 1 Peter 3 this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soo agree! This is so something we should seek earnestly - everytime the world makes you feel crap - just turn that situation on its head and look for ways to be beautiful in the eyes of our Lord!

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this then put your thoughts in the box! I'd love to hear them :)